Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What is wrong with our teaching?


What's wrong with our Teaching?

I was going through this special issue of "India Today" highlighting on the shortcomings of Indian teaching system in schools,colleges & varsities.Thought of sharing my learning with you.

Albert Einstein once said that:-"I never teach my pupils;I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn".

However our faulty teaching methodoly only creates some muggers who are not having a desire to acquire knowledge rather running after percentages.So that subsequently their parents can talk about their son/daughter's achievements in dinner parties.

The problem with our education system is that it is too bulky and students are made to learn too much,too fast.The teachers need to understand that ultimately,the goal of education is not to cover the syllabus but to uncover knowledge which is yet to happen.

"The problem is that our teachers are of the 'Chalk & Talk' type.But we have to make learning much more interactive at all levels starting from kindergarten.The laboratory approach in Mathematics,Languages and Science works far better than the text book method".

*** NCERT Steering Committee for Curriculum Reforms

Thought:-"What I hear, I forget,What I see, I remember,What I do, I understand".by Confucious

Precisely the teachers need to move from teaching-for-exams to teaching-for-understanding.

Warm regards,

Mr.Bay Leaf

1 comment:

shom said...

good blog , but once again i ask , wgo is bay leaf ?